Tuesday 12 January 2016

Book Review

Cold Comfort Farm

This was one from the BBC list I'm working through. I'd never heard of it but it was surprisingly good.

I thought it was set in the thirties but it has some odd futuristic twists to it (a bit like 1984) which threw me at first.

It's the story of a girl who moves to live with previously unknown relatives on a farm and sets to work putting their lives in order.

I enjoyed the book. I like the slightly more modern classics.

Yes, Please

I heard about Amy Poehler's autobiography from one of the blogs I read and decided to give it a go.

I wasn't really aware of any of her work at the time which probably took away from the reading experience to some extent but it was still an interesting and fun read.

There's a lot of humour to her writing and there were many laugh out loud moments. Though it might be a bit backwards, I'd like to watch some of her work having read about it now.

Northanger Abbey

A colleague lent me Val McDermid's modern remake of the classic. I read the original a few years ago. Just long enough to have forgotten the details.

I thought the new version was great, modern language and contexts gave the story a breath of fresh air. It was a smooth and easy read - quicker than the original but still as enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment