Tuesday 30 August 2016

Reading Review

Killing Floor - Lee Child

I pinched this one from my Dad while we were in England and I had finished the book I was reading.  I'd only read one Jack Reacher book before and it was chronologically the first story.  I decided to carry on from the beginning and Killing Floor is the first in the series.

It was a really good read.  It was easy to read, which I tend to appreciate more these days.  It was a good story though and kept me guessing right to the end. It's a series I'll definitely be picking up again.

The Unmumsy Mum - Sarah Turner

Brilliant and very honest, I loved this book.  I already wrote about it last week because it helped me so much but I really can't recommend it enough to anyone with a toddler or two.  I've since started reading the blog which, after reading the book, is a little repetetive in terms of material but still fun and I love seeing the pictures that were missing in the book.

The Road Past Mandalay - John Masters

This was an unusual read for me.  I'm not really into military novels, especially when they are not related to my history studies - i.e. World War I and World War II.  This one found it's way to me through my grandmother. Her brother was killed in Burma during the war and I know nothing about the campaign in Burma.  This book was among her things and I decided it was time to find out a bit more.

John Master's war was not directly linked to my great-uncle's other than taking place in Burma but it was still interesting to learn more about it.  I liked the biographical sections best and the sections that described a bit more of the country.  Military accounts really aren't my thing and it took some effort to stay with the book at times but I'm glad I did.  It has left me with many family history questions again.  Maybe I'll be able to find some answers while on maternity leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment