Wednesday 7 September 2016

Dickens

A while ago, I was talking to a colleague and we discovered that we both have a love of classics. I prefer reading but also enjoy seeing books brought to life. My colleague prefers the BBC adaptations and has a lot. She lent me a lot of them to watch and I've started with one that I haven't yet read - Little Dorritt.

I'm four episodes in and really enjoying it so far. It's nice to not have read the book this once - watching without knowing what to expect.

It made me realise how few Dickens novels I have read. There will be a few more going onto my list: Little Dorrit, Bleak House, Pickwick Papers, Nicholas Nickleby, The Old Curiosity Shop.

Sometimes I wonder if the classics are really good or just became so popular because of the times they were written in but with Dickens, he's just so brilliant. The intricacies of the stories, colourful characters, I think he'd be as good writing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment