Thursday 20 April 2017

Notes on baby #1 vs baby #2

Having a second baby has obviously changed our lives. Joshua completes our family and we are really blessed with both of our children but there are two things I still struggle with on a daily basis which I would tell anyone contemplating expanding their family:

1. You will love both children equally even though your heart feels full with your firstborn BUT you will never be able to give both children 100% of yourself.

This kind of hit me when I went into labour and Nico took Isabella to our friends' house. I cried when I realised Isabella didn't know what was about to happen and she'd always have to share us from now on.

I still find it hard on a day to day basis to be fair to both children, especially since Joshua is still so small and needy. While I'm sure it will get easier and the benefit of co-parenting is that we can 'divide and conquer', I think this is something I'll always struggle with.

2. Success with one baby does not ensure you the same experience with another, even when it shares the same genes, home and parenting as the first.

We were spoiled by Isabella. She was such an easy baby. I still can't believe we moved house,  and decorated the house and flat with Isabella at six months!

Joshua is not difficult but he is very different. He's clingy, he will only nap in my arms, he slept in our bed for almost three months, he won't take a dummy... The list goes on.

We're learning with him but it is very different than we expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment