Wednesday 19 December 2018

Santa?

Last week at the Kindergarten Christmas party, Joshua met Santa for the first time and he was amazed.  I noticed it again this week at the Christmas market.  It's so sweet, he's not scared but he's not sure what to make of him yet.

I also learned this week that St.Nicholas and Santa Claus are two different people in Germany.  It's only taken me almost nine years to realise this.  I'm not sure how long kids will go along with this given the rise in American films which are already confusing matters.  German friends are always asking me if we really wait until Christmas morning to open presents.

The children are still at an age where they don't really think about it too much but I think Isabella may start asking questions next year - why is it different for her and her cousins?  It's always been important to me that the kids have the magic of Christmas for as long as possible.  And even with one culture, they ask questions early.  "How can this present be from Grandma? - Santa brought it" etc. 

It also changes depending on religion - here the Jesus child brings the gifts for catholic children.

For now, I think we will just see what questions come and answer them as we go.  I'm just looking forward to having two happy children next week and some quality family time.

No comments:

Post a Comment