Wednesday 8 September 2010

Observations on Driving on the Right

I originally thought that the most difficult thing about driving in Germany would be driving on the right hand side...I was greatly mistaken!  I know I already mentioned driving and the difficulties when I first got here but lately, after a good three week break from any driving, I have been out and about on the roads again and touch wood, there have been no fatalities!  I still do find it crazy driving on tram lines, I was totally hemmed in by trams in the Viertel today! 

The hardest bit is not driving on the right - you just follow the car in front and even in quiet times there are some handy blue signs keeping you on track.  The cyclists and trams are still out in force and don't even look out for oncoming cars but I've started getting used to looking out for them.

Last night, I made the mistake of driving to school last night for parents evening and realising just how much quicker it is.  Ten minutes by car or an hour by train.  I'm definitely taking the car next week as I want to make the most of the time I have with my visitors and I'm seriously considering keeping it longer than planned, knowing how I feel about commuting in the Winter months.

1 comment: