Thursday 17 March 2011

Hobby Thursday!

Last week I finally managed to start my new French course.  At the end of the last course, before Christmas I have to admit that I had become a little lazy and with different visits and Christmas themed events, I missed a fair few lessons.  I was therefore especially disappointed when being of sick with a virus a few weeks ago coincided with the first week of the new course followed by a visit from my best friend and her husband the week after.  So last week, I finally bit the bullet and got back in there.

I have to admit that despite being a teacher, I find the whole pupil experience tense still.  I really want to work on my French and get my exams done next year but I hate speaking in front of the class.  It was especially embarrassing last week when faced with a basic French grammar question, my mind went blank.  It also distracts me a little that some (i.e. everyone else there) have a much better accent and quicker recall.  I'm trying to keep in mind that for most of them this is their main foreign language while for me it's my third and I'm learning it through a foreign language - any tough questions are answered in German, not English.  Let's just say that along with my brain training, this has to be doing wonders for my grey matter!

I've also found it tough dragging myself out of the flat for an evening class for two reasons.  One has been the dark and miserable evenings throughout winter but I have to admit that, despite a slight cooling off in the weather this week, Spring is definitely here.  We took a walk along the Werder Lake again this weekend and it always makes be notice the passing of the seasons when we are there.  First there was Autumn and the brown leaves, then Winter with the ice and feeding the ducks and now, everything has thawed again, the crocuses and snowdrops are appearing and the wildlife is everywhere - along with the runners and cyclists.  The second reason to stay in is my wonderful boyfriend.  It's so much nicer, cooking together or watching a film all snuggled up but today he has decided to return to his martial arts class that he hasn't been to for a while, which means we are both spending time doing something we enjoy for ourselves, and this makes us happier when we are together and gives us more to talk about.  So I am renaming the day - Hobby Thursday, looking forward to my French class and a lovely meal with my wonderful man afterwards!

Happy Hobby Thursday!  And a Happy St Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment