Friday 29 July 2011

England

At the start of the holidays we had two weeks in England which I haven't talked about much yet.  After the two days in Whitstable, we headed back to Morley to catch up with friends and family for ten days.

It was really important to me to see my Gran as I haven't seen her since Christmas and she has been in hospital.  The worst thing about being abroad, is being away at times like that but she has demanded it of me herself that I don't move back to England!  Anyway, she was weaker than last time we saw her but having seen her on the webcam and having prepared myself for the worst, it wasn't too big a shock seeing her.  She was the same funny, stubborn Gran that we left there in January.  By the end of the visit she was visibly stronger and starting to cook for herself more but it was great to be there and help her while we could.

We also caught up with the rest of my immediate family which was great.  I have seen my parents since Christmas as they have visited here in Bremen which is lovely and hopefully will come and see our new place before Christmas.  I hadn't seen my brother and sister though so it was also good to catch up with them and see both of their new homes while we were back.

During our second week back we visited Heckmondwike for Languages Day and had the luck to see my old form.  I can't believe the difference in them in just a year.  Still rowdy as ever but one pupil in particular I thought must have joined this year until I realised who it was and of course it was great to hear they won the year eight Eurovision contest with their rendition of Superkalifragilistigexpialigetisch!  It was strange being back, somehow like I'd never left but all different at the same time.

We managed to meet up with several friends and catch up on their news too which was great.  Despite our best efforts and being exhausted most days, we didn't manage to see everyone but we will be back in the Christmas holidays and there's lots of room for guests in our new place!

One final highlight of the holiday was flying back (yep, the German way of life has convinced me that it is possible to go car-less...we shall see) and it was the first time for Nico.  I think I was one the first time I went on a plane but it's something I have now done so often, I barely think about it.  I think Nico enjoyed it, he coped better than I probably would have as an adult first timer - but then he's not a giant wimp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment