Monday 19 September 2011

27 things - Run a 5K

I've now taken part in the Race for Life three times.  The first year was with my Mum at Temple Newsam in Leeds.  It was a really charged atmosphere and a great experience.  I was so inspired by the other people there, I decided I wanted to run it the following year.

So in 2009 I signed up early for the Harrogate race, I didn't do much training but I did convince my Mum and colleague that this time, we should jog it.  However, I was struck down with flu the week before and barely managed to walk around without collapsing (although I shouldn't have been there at all considering I was off work).  Again I was inspired by others there including colleagues who ran around and promised myself that I would do it.

After a year off, I signed up for the Wakefield race with my Mum and her friend.  Although I didn't really train again, I had been doing a lot more sport and felt better about letting Mum and her friend walk while I ran this time.  The previous two years, I completed the course in around an hour.  I was aiming for 45 minutes which I had been able to run a couple of years before.  I was delighted to come in at 38 minutes.  I did push myself and I was exhausted after but it was very rewarding and inspired me to apply for a 10K next year.  (I tried to enter the Bremen one this year but was too late unfortunately).


No comments:

Post a Comment