Sunday 20 November 2011

Como Agua Para Chocolate

I spent this week reading a Spanish novel.  This is something I haven't done for a while.  In fact, since I was at uni, I can think of only two others I have read.  I bought this when I was feeling bad about not keeping my Spanish up and only picked it up this week as part of my drive to read all the books I own before I buy any more but I was totally surprised by it.

It's a brilliant story of a girl, Tita who falls in love but is forbidden by her mother to marry because of a family tradition that the youngest daughter should remain at home to take care of the parents in their old age.  It's also linked heavily to cooking and some Mexican recipes and remedies.  The story is beautiful with so many twists and turns, like many family sagas.  I won't spoil the story but it's definitely worth a read.  (It's available in English - Like Water for Chocolate).

No comments:

Post a Comment