Friday 18 November 2011

Something New Week #1

As promised I have tried something new this week.  On Wednesday night I made me first homemade moussaka!  I'm not going to say it tasted amazing - I am not the spice woman and had to rely on Nico to add those for me later - but it tasted much better than I had expected.  I think it's the cheese...mmm.  The best discovery was that it is a gluten free dish which I didn't know!  So I didn't have to adapt it and it was really quite straight forward!


Ingredients


1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 medium Onion, finely chopped   
1 clove Garlic, crushed   
1 medium Courgette, chopped   
175 g Mushrooms, sliced   
1 can chopped Tomatoes
1 teaspoon Mixed Herbs, dried 
1 Vegetable Stock Cube, dissolved in 125ml hot water   
1 tablespoon Cornflour, blended with 2 tbsp cold water   
1 medium Aubergine, sliced   
600 g Potatoes, par-boiled and sliced   
250 g soft Cheese  
50 g Cheddar Cheese, grated   
1 medium Egg
1 pinch Salt, and freshly ground black pepper   

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5.
  • Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic and courgette for 3 - 4 minutes, until softened. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, herbs and stock. Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer without a lid for 10 minutes. Add the blended cornflour and cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from the heat and season.
  • Spoon half the tomato mixture into a large baking dish. Layer the aubergine slices over the top, then spread the remaining tomato mixture over them. Arrange the potatoes over the surface in an overlapping layer.
  • Beat together the soft cheese with the egg. Season with salt and pepper. Spread over the potatoes, then sprinkle the grated cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes, until the topping is golden brown. 
This is a Weightwatchers recipe that comes in at just 9 Propoints per serving.  (The recipe is designed to make four servings)

No comments:

Post a Comment