Monday 18 June 2012

Interview!

A while ago now, I received some feedback from an old school friend who has found my blog through facebook and found it helped her to settle in to her year abroad in Paris and get through the homesickness (yes, even in Paris, you can get homesick).  I've been thinking a lot about her message and I thought maybe she wasn't the only one, and even if she is, here's a way I can hopefully help even more, by roping my friends into some interviews talking about how they have adapted to moving to a new country.  Here is the first in (I hope) a series of interviews talking about actual experiences of moving abroad and some advice on how you can do it too.

This interview is with my good friend Loreto who has a lot of experience in living abroad and a wonderful outlook on life, indeed, she has helped me through my migration process.



Tell us a little bit about yourself.

My name is Loreto, I am Spanish, I lived in England for nine years where I taught Spanish. Now I am living near Bremen, in Germany.

Which countries did you move from and to and why? 

I moved from England to Germany following my husband, he is also a teacher.

What kind of expectations did you have before you moved? 

I thought that it would be easier to get a job but the language is a barrier and I need to learn it well before I find a job.

Did your new country live up to these expectations? 

No, I found easier to adapt to England when I moved there. People were friendlier and more welcoming.

What was the best thing about moving? 

The challenge of a new culture and new friends.

What was the worst thing? 

Leaving behind my friends, my permanent job…

What has been your favourite experience since you moved? 

I have met very good people and I have fantastic friends. Also I love the village where we live.

What steps have you taken to accustom yourself to your new country? 

Learn the language and try to find a job. Also I have tried to make German friends.

What tips would you give someone else thinking of moving abroad / to your country? 

To come with an open mind and try to look to the positive side of things. Moving abroad is a very rewarding experience from which you learn a lot. Try to learn the bases of the language before you move to the country and get familiarized with the place before you move permanently.

Is there anything else you would like to share? 

Yes, I have to thank my English friend Jenny because she has been a great support to me. Thanks to her I have not felt so lonely, at first you can feel quite isolated from the world but we have been meeting every week for coffees and a nice chat and that has meant the world to me!


Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions!

Not at all, my pleasure!

Well now I am blushing!  I guess one piece of advice to take away from this is how important those social connections are.  I was here a year before I met Loreto and the second year has been much easier than the first.  I was lucky enough to meet her by coincidence.  You really have to put yourself out there in order to meet new people and make connections in a new city but it is soooo worth it in the long run!

No comments:

Post a Comment