Tuesday 9 April 2013

Apple Pudding Cake!


I can't remember having ever baked a cake by myself.  Last week, when we went to Nico's family for Easter brunch, I decided to change this.  I always feel bad when we turn up and everyone brings a cake or other food and we are empty handed.  It's especially bad as they are even kind enough to bake me gluten free cakes too.  Now that I'm joining the family, I decided it's time things changed.  So I baked two apple pudding cakes and took some Easter daffodils.

I forgot to take photos but this week, I tried out Nico's new baking tin and made a huge cake for my birthday BBQ.  We still have half left over so it's going to be a tasty week!  Here's the recipe:

Mix 250g flour (I use cornflour and rice flour), 100g butter, 1 egg, 2 tbsp baking powder and 150g sugar.  Use the mixture to line the base of a mixing tin.

Core and chop eight apples.  Mix 75g ground hazelnuts with 50g sugar and 2 tbsp water.  Add this mixture to the apples in a large mixing bowl.  Make a vanilla pudding (using two packets) with 1 litre of cream and 100g sugar.  When the pudding is ready, combine it with the apples and fill the baking tin.

Bake in the oven on 175 degrees for 60-75 minutes.  

We added some coconut and run raisins for the second cake and it worked really well too.  Delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment