Thursday 13 February 2014

Reading Round-up

A little update and review of some of the books I have read so far this year...

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

This was a Christmas present and I have loved getting into some different Latin American literature this year.  I thought it would be quite heavy going since it is a classic but it is actually a much easier read than I expected, telling the story of the Buendia family over a century.  The story is interesting - at times a little crazy and unbelivable and the characters are fascinating too.  I would recommend this book to anyone who likes family sagas although it is not a particularly typical one.  Very enjoyable.

The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle

This self-help book was recommended to me by a friend who found out I had an interest in Buddhism and yoga.  At first this book really fit in to both of those other interests as almost the spiritual side of the yoga practice.  There are definitely some ideas that I will take away from this book and try to put into practice.  However, I did feel that I kind of lost touch with the message of the book as I got closer to the end.  The focus became very intangible and unclear for me.  Then again, maybe I just ploughed through the material too quickly.  Definitely one to consider - I may read it again at some point.

The One I Left Behind - Jennifer McMahon

Another Christmas present, I really enjoyed this book.  It's a murder mystery with a twist.  It jumps between the present and the protagonists (Reggie's) childhood when a serial killer was on the loose.  Reggie's mother was the final victim but the only body never found.  It was very difficult to put this one down.  Easy, interesting reading - with a good twist.  Big recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment