Friday 21 March 2014

Brutal Honesty

One thing about my job is that you can always rely on pupils to be brutally honest with you, especially the younger ones.  This week it's been nice to have some positive comments on my new haircut.  (Only one pupil said just 'but why?'!)  Sometimes though, you have to develop quite a thick skin to last long in teaching.

One particular pupil was astounded to learn I was pregnant this week despite seeing me every day.  When we asked her if she hadn't noticed, she said 'I haven't seen you with your stomach lately...'  I almost pointed out to her that I hadn't been anywhere without it lately!

I don't mind that though - I did mind when the pupils thought I was pregnant last summer.  Cue crash diet!  No, seriously though, it is one of the joys of my job to collect some of their little comments.  I think the following may be my all time favourite:

Pupil 1: 'Miss, are you married?'
Me: 'No.'
Pupil 2: 'Do you have children?'
Pupil 1:  'Are you deaf?  She just said she's not married!'

I will miss this when I am on maternity leave.  The pupils are really the best thing about the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment