Friday 16 May 2014

3 unexpected pregnancy experiences

source
When we found out we were pregnant back in October, there were many things that I was completely prepared for - morning sickness, cravings, a tidal wave of emotions. However, there are some things that just don't seem to be discussed. Don't worry if you are eating while reading this...I'm not going down that road - the women of the family will fill you in on those details. Here are three things that I didn't hear about in advance.

1. Joint Pains

Especially in the hips. Completely logical and manageable and I'm not complaining (I feel truly blessed by this pregnancy), but the biggest barrier to my getting sleep lately are the hip and knee pains which mean I constantly have to change sides. I just keep focusing on the fact that the more preparation my body does now, the easier labour should be.

2. Not eating for two

Okay, so I know I am eating for two but when I imagined his third trimester I thought our food bills would be doubled and I'd be eating everything in sight. However, I just can't! I'm eating enough and putting on weight but it's on more of a 'little and often' basis. At a family celebration over the weekend we went for a three course meal and I had to give up half way through because of my circulation. Also, it makes sense when I think how squashed up my stomach must be, wherever it is now. 

3. No panic!

I've had the hormone waves and huge emotional highs and lows over the last seven months but I expected that by the time I hit maternity leave I would be nesting and panicking like mad. Maybe this will still hit in the next five weeks but at the moment we're taking it all in our stride. We still haven't store bought anything and the 'nursery' is still stood there empty. So far I'm quite the hippy - things will be done when they need to be done. Panic will not help! 

No comments:

Post a Comment