Sunday 11 May 2014

Reading Review

Tess of the d'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

This was the first book I read using the kindle app and I loved that. I liked this novel but it was quite different from the classics I am used to. It follows the story of Tess and her complicated marriage and life. It really shows how difficult those times were or women.

What I found different in this novel was how descriptive it was. The story or action was quite slow and not at all character driven. Sometimes it was a little too slow but it didn't wander into the realm of whole irrelevant chapters like 'Les Mis' or 'Anna Karenina'. Overall a nice read.

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier

I'd heard of this book but knew nothing about it until I started reading. It was completely addictive. It really reminded me of Downton Abbey but with a lot more mystery. It was another interesting take on marriage. 

The narrative kept me on the edge of my seat guessing away the whole time. I'd highly recommend this novel.

A Street Cat Named Bob - James Bowen

We spotted this little gem shopping for a German book with my Christmas vouchers and didn't know it was originally English. It was up in the bestsellers here along with its newly released sequel.

It tells the story of a ginger cat named Bob and how he found and changed the life of his owner (the author). It's a fairly regular biography but had me laughing, crying, and on the edge of my seat. I'm not sure if the book would hold the same appeal for non-cat-lovers but I suspect it would. It took me three days to devour - in German. Very excited about the sequel!


No comments:

Post a Comment