Thursday 3 July 2014

Gone With The Wind

source
It's taken me over a month but last night I finally finished this epic novel. I watched the film about four years ago when I first came to Germany and remember it being very long but either I forgot a lot of the film or the book has a lot more content and is (as usual) much better than the film.

I was only pushed towards this book as it is on the BBC top 100 list that I am working my way through (63 down now). However, I did thoroughly enjoy it. It is the epic tale of Scarlett O'Hara, set in Georgia during the American Civil War. Unlike Les Mis or Anna Karenina, the added historical element didn't annoy me, it added an extra dimension to the book. Maybe it was because I studied American history or maybe because it just flowed better with the narrative.

The characters are at times frustrating but it was also possible to identify with them at different points in the story. The narrative is interesting and really pulls you in despite its length. If you're a bookworm and into classics as I am, this is one for your list. I plan to revisit the film when I have time, in order to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment